The Windsor Park Equestrian Club is situated among the 5,000 acres of the Windsor
Great Park which in turn is part of the 14,000 acre Windsor Estate spanning two counties,
Surrey and Berkshire. Indeed the Show Jumping and Dressage members arrive through the
Berkshire entrance whilst the Driving members drive through Surrey to enter the park!
Originally Windsor Great Park was part of a huge Norman hunting chase. During the 13th
Century the park was enclosed for the hunting of deer and wild boar. Its links with the
royal family date back to Edward the Confessor with many changes being made throughout the
centuries by our different monarchs.
Driving members of the club are fortunate to see the handiwork of King Charles
II who planted a long line of Elm trees connecting Windsor Castle to the Great
Park known as the Long Walk. The marathon often crosses the Long Walk to
continue up through the Deer Park to the Copper Horse. This is a large statue
of King George III which was erected to commemorate the contributions he made
to the development of the park particularly the estate farms.
The deer were removed during the latter part of World War II so the pasture land
could be made into arable stock. The deer were reintroduced in 1979 by the Duke of Edinburgh, the present Ranger of the Park.
So not only do the driving members have wooden hazards to negotiate but their horses must
also be prepared for the deer!
Dressage and show jumping members have a leisurely drive through the park to Smiths Lawn
where the Guards Polo Club is situated. The show jumping rings and dressage arenas are opposite
the most famous polo lawns in the
World where many international polo stars come to play throughout the summer months.
Mrs Dorothy Harnden
Windsor Park Equestrian Club
PO Box 1155
Telephone: 01276 472169